Diana Weaves Together a Sentuous Blend of Ballads and Bossa Novas
DIANA KRALL WEAVES TOGETHER A SENSUOUS BLEND OF BALLADS AND BOSSA NOVAS FOR HER CD ‘QUIET NIGHTS’
OUT MARCH 31ST, 2009 ON VERVE
Verve Records will release Diana Krall’s new album ‘Quiet Nights,’ on March 31st. The romantic album combines Brazilian and west coast jazz styles and features three recordings of songs by bossa nova legend Antonio Carlos Jobim.
‘Quiet Nights’ reunites Krall with arranger Claus Ogerman for the first time since the multi-platinum 2001 album ‘The Look of Love.’ The GRAMMY Award winning pianist and vocalist adds Paulinho Da Costa on percussion to her already outstanding quartet of Anthony Wilson (guitar), John Clayton (bass) and Jeff Hamilton (drums).
Krall co-produced the album with Tommy LiPuma, the tenth time they have worked together, and returned to Capital Studios in Hollywood with Al Schmitt engineering and mixing.
‘QUIET NIGHTS’ TRACK LIST:
1. Where Or When (Lorenz Hart, Richard Rodgers)
2. Too Marvelous For Words (Johnny Mercer, Richard Whiting)
3. I’ve Grown Accustomed To Your Face (Alan Jay Lerner, Frederick Loewe)
4. The Boy From Ipanema (Norman Gimbel, Vinicius DeMoraes, Antonio Carlos Jobim)
5. Walk On By (Hal David, Burt Bacharach)
6. Guess I’ll Hang My Tears Out To Dry (Sammy Cahn, Jule Styne)
7. Este Seu Olhar (Antonio Carlos Jobim)
8. So Nice (Marcos Kostenbader, Valle and Paulo Sergio Valle, Norman Gimbel)
9. Quiet Nights (Gene Lees, Buddy Kay, Antonio Carlos Jobim)
10. You’re My Thrill (Sidney Clare, Jay Gorney)
‘Quiet Nights’ is Krall’s 12th album and her first full length studio release since 2006’s ‘From This Moment On.’ That album garnered her a third consecutive Top 10 Billboard 200 chart position as critics deemed “This is Krall at her best.” (Christian Science Monitor, 9.22.06). In 2007 Verve released ‘The Very Best of Diana Krall,’ the first career retrospective of Krall’s music, which featured three previously unreleased songs.
Diana Krall has topped both the pop and jazz charts, played sold-out amphitheatres in multiple countries and sold millions of records worldwide since her debut in 1993. She has proven her genuine talent and credibility as a mold-breaking jazz musician time and time again.